Welcome! I’m Marjolein Hoekstra from The Netherlands. Thank you for checking out my profile.
I don’t publish that frequently anymore, unfortunately, due to a persistent lack of focus and concentration. When I do write, however, it’s usually from a technical point of view about stuff that makes life easier, or more fun. I tend to do lots of research before I write things down and I very much like sharing what I’ve discovered.
Please feel free to have a look around and tell me what you think.
I’m very open to constructive feedback and I kindly welcome discussion.
You can reach me through the Contact page
My interests are actually quite diverse, but do boil down to these main categories:
- Learning to speak foreign languages in effective ways (Leitner flashcards)
- Content curation, news filtering (RSS tools, dynamic OPML), mashing up technologies
- Browser add-ons, scripts and the productivity they bring
- MS OneNote 2013 – the wonderful digital notebook that makes all of my research notes easily accessible, many thousands of them. It even allows cross-linking between notes, a crucial feature for me.
- Community management
- Communication skills, more in particular with regard to raising and educating children
- Social media and tech news
- iPhone push notifications, jailbreaking, iPad, the wonders of eBooks and exploring cool apps;
- Gadgets, electronics, binary clocks, smartphones
- Listening to music and making music myself – using ICT to enhance the experience (think music theory software, digital sheet music, Sibelius, virtual-piano modelling software); one day I hope to own a Yamaha AvantGrand N3 digital grand piano.
- QR codes and their underestimated potential
- Exploring far-away places, both in real life and virtually
- Learning new skills
- Making new friends and exchanging ideas
- Health: academic research into the effect of food supplements and into the diseases that are caused by nutrient deficiencies
- Electric mobility, green technology, energy preservation
- Other little things. Ask me.